For those who suffer from chronic back pain or a recent injury, riding in the car for a long period of time can aggravate your symptoms. Summer is road trip season, and many Americans take trips in the car. Here are some tips for dealing with your back pain and ensuring you have an enjoyable pain-free road trip.
- Bring along a pillow such as a coccyx pillow to provide some cushioning.
- Make sure nothing is in your back pocket, this can put you out of alignment.
- Sit up straight and make sure your back is against the seat.
- Take breaks often to get up and get moving.
- Slightly stretch in your seat, any movement can help you out.
- Bring along a cold pack to reduce inflammation. You can bring ice in a cooler or use one of the instant ice packs.
- Heat is also helpful for many experiencing muscle soreness. A ThermaCare wrap or instant heat pack is great to bring along.
- Keep feet firmly on the floor, obviously if you are the driver this is difficult. If cruise control is an option you may consider it.
Follow these tips to help reduce pain on a long road trip. For more tips visit spine-health.