Happy 2017! Another year has passed us by and we are looking forward to the potential of things yet to come. Making “adjustments” for the new year is important for keeping your health on track. Although Chiropractic adjustments are one thing we suggest adding to your self care and wellness routine, there are many other things you can do to change your health. Here are a few simple health tips that can easily be done to get yourself off on the right track no matter what your resolutions are.
1. Start off your day with a healthy breakfast. Many of us skip breakfast or only enjoy a cup of coffee. This is a poor habit because your metabolism doesn’t get kick started first thing in the morning. It also can lead to overeating later in the day because you find yourself starving.
Here are a few ideas:
- Oatmeal with almond butter, chia seeds and fruit
- Eggs with veggies, salsa and avocado
- Plain Greek yogurt with whole-grain granola and berries.
2. Eat mindfully. It can become a habit to eat while doing other activities- watching TV, working at your desk, etc. If you pay attention to what you are eating, you will pay more attention to what you are eating and stop when you are actually full. This will lead to healthier choices overall. Chewing slowly can also help you avoid overeating.
3. Cut back on sugar. Sugar is quite literally an addiction and one that can be hard to get rid of. According to the USDA, the average American eats 128 POUNDS of added sugar each year. This added sugar affects our bodies and our health in a big way. Sugar isn’t only in the typical “sugary” foods like desserts, donuts, chocolate, etc. It can be found in everything from canned spaghetti sauce to salad dressings. Here are a few steps to take to remove sugar from your diet.
- Eliminate sugary drinks- soda pops, fruit juice, coffee/tea with added sugar.
- Aim for no more than 24 grams of added sugar in 24 hours.
- Read food labels. Many foods we buy can have shocking amounts of sugar. Check out the ingredient labels and lookout for other names such as glucose, fructose, high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, dried cane syrup etc.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners
These sweeteners can have many effects on the body including weight gain.
4. Get active. There is no one size fits all when it comes to workouts. Find something that works for you and that you get results from. Here are a few ideas:
- Lift weights
- Walk or run
- Take an exercise class at the gym or YMCA
- Play recreational sports
- Do a workout tape at home
5. Get sleep. Making sure you have enough shut eye is important for daily functions! If you are having trouble falling or staying asleep, a routine can help you get into the habit of getting quality rest. Without proper rest you won’t be able to meet your health and fitness goals.