Dr. Jay Pearson has many certifications including the distinguished CCSP®and DACBSP® certifications. Dr. Pearson is a Chiropractic Sports Physician with the training and qualifications to handle sports related injuries and performance-oriented athletics. This type of work is a specialized field within the chiropractic field.
Two of the respected certifications for this title come from the American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physicians (ACBSP), the certifying agency for Chiropractic sports medicine. Dr. Pearson has received both of the post-graduate Chiropractic sports medicine certifications, CCSP® and DACBSP®.
Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician®(CCSP®) requires candidates complete a post-graduate level hands-on emergency procedures course and a CPR course before completing and passing the exam. Additionally, candidates must provide documentation and proof that they are a Licensed Doctor of Chiropractic and have done one of the following:
- Completed a minimum of 100 hours of postgraduate education in the Certified Chiropractic Sports Physicians® program from an accredited chiropractic college.
- Possess a current Athletic Trainer (ATC) Certification
- Completed a Masters of Science (MS) program in exercise and sport science or equivalent program from an accredited college
- Completed the first year of a sports medicine residency program with an accredited college
After completing these requirements for the CCSP®, candidates can continue on to earn the DACBSP® certification. To earn this certification, you must successfully complete a written exam, a six-station practical exam, written project and 100 hours experience in the field.
To be eligable to take the DACBSP® you must:
- Have completed a minimum of 200 hours postgraduate education in the DACBSP Program, from an accredited chiropractic college.
- Active Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician/Practitioner® (CCSP®) with completion of a Masters of Science (MS) degree in an equivalent program in the domain of sports medicine.
- Completion of a sports medicine residency program in its entirety.
Both of these programs signify a Chiropractors advance knowledge in sports-related injuries and how to treat an athlete. Many top athletes have given credit to their Chiropractors for their sports performance including Tiger Woods, Jerry Rice, Emmit Smith, and Kelly Slater. Most professional athletic teams (and amateur teams) have a Chiropractic sports physician on their staff.
For more information on this certification, visit the ACBSP®.